Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Hadoop

I know after all this exadata posting, your are probably wondering why my blood doesn't run black and red ?

Well I've been hearing about Hadoop for years, and I think it's finally about time that I set up an Hadoop envioronment.

If you have never heard of hadoop here is a starting point.

There are also 2 very interesting flavors.

Cassandra - this allows for HA through clustering your hadoop database with no single point of failure
Hive          - This allows for data warehousing with the building of materialized views.

The thing that grabbed my attention is the ability to handle large amounts of log data.  Like most major companies we produce unwielding amounts of log files from our application server farms with no way to sift through it.  It seems like a lot of people are utilizing hadoop to organize and search log files.

Interesting subject that I will be pursuing further. If anyone has any experience, or words of wisdom on this pass it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment