Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Oracle on ASM

I discovered an interesting little by product of running Oracle on ASM.. Our SGA was sized a little small on a non-production box.  All of a sudden the Users started seeing some I/O errors.

Error: Selecting clients for minimum billing ORA-01115: IO error reading block
from file (block # )


ORA-01110: data file 49: '+DATA/orcl/data_128k_dt01.dbf'
ORA-15081: failed to submit an I/O operation to a disk
ORA-15081: failed to submit an I/O operation to a disk

Of course I looked at the sytem logs to find out if there was the dreaded corruption.. but nothing shows up.. I look in the alert log and I see

ORA-04031: unable to allocate 3240 bytes of shared memory ("shared pool","unknown object","sga heap(1,0)","FileOpenBlock")



ERROR: error ORA-4031 caught in ASM I/O path

 
 
Hmm.. looks like Oracle not being able to get to the ASM path causes I/O error messages.

No comments:

Post a Comment