Twitter Updates 2.2.1: FeedWitter

Saturday, March 31, 2012

R and visualing your execution times

Well, I think I'm a little late to the party..   I know Greg Rahn did a great post on utilizing R to visual your ash data.  I figure I would do a simple example of how to build something myself to show how easy it is to utilyze R to visualize query execution times..

Well first I stated by downloading R from cran.r-project.org.

Once I downloaded R, I went to one of my databases, and found a query that had different execution times I wanted to play with.  I created an output file from the query.. Here is the script I used..


set pagesize 10000
set feedback off
spool rtest.txt

select trunc((elapsed_time_delta/executions_delta)/1000000,4) avg_execution_time "AVG_EXECUTION_TIME",
       PLAN_HASH_VALUE "PLAN_HASH_VALUE",
       execution_date "EXECUTION_DATE"
from
(
select sum(elapsed_time_delta) elapsed_time_delta,
       sum(executions_delta) executions_delta,
              PLAN_HASH_VALUE,
              to_char(trunc(end_interval_time),'mm/dd/yy') execution_date
from dba_hist_sqlstat a,
     dba_hist_snapshot b
 where sql_id='19sqmxkc58wqm'
and a.snap_id=b.snap_id
and a.instance_number=b.instance_number
--and executions_delta>0
group by plan_hash_value,to_char(trunc(end_interval_time),'mm/dd/yy')
)
where executions_delta > 0
order by execution_date;
spool off


This script created a file I brought over to my pc and cleaned up the format. Here is part of the file..

AVG_EXECUTION_TIME PLAN_HASH_VALUE execution_date                                     
           20.4368       566875892 01/01/12                                     
           50.3253      4009342004 01/01/12                                     
           21.4655       566875892 01/02/12                                     
           19.8312      4009342004 01/02/12                                     
           69.9299      4009342004 01/03/12                                     
          135.7153      4009342004 01/04/12                                     
           39.3972      4009342004 01/05/12                                     
           65.2833      4009342004 01/06/12                                     
           39.8093      4009342004 01/07/12                                     
           35.8615      4009342004 01/08/12                                     
           18.7553       566875892 01/09/12                                     
          134.7431      4009342004 01/09/12                                     
           76.2954      4009342004 01/10/12                                     
          115.8707      4009342004 01/11/12                                     
           60.0754      4009342004 01/12/12                                     
          102.6432      4009342004 01/13/12                                     
           22.2528       566875892 01/14/12                                     
          119.8541      4009342004 01/14/12                                     
           21.8552       566875892 01/15/12                                     
           18.5785      4009342004 01/15/12                                     
           19.3179       566875892 01/16/12                                     
            80.794      4009342004 01/16/12                                     
           67.0872      4009342004 01/17/12                                     
          107.1604      4009342004 01/18/12                                     
           28.9797      4009342004 01/19/12                                     
          


I put this file into c:\r and named it query_performance .txt.

I then went into R and ran the following commands.


setwd("c:\\r")
query_data <- read.table("query_performance.txt",header=T)


max_num <- max(query_data$AVG_EXECUTION_TIME)

hist(query_data$AVG_EXECUTION_TIME,col=heat.colors(max_num),breaks=max_num,xlim=c(0,max_num),
     right=F,main="Execution Time Histogram",las=1)






You can see I just ran a few simple commands...

setwd --- set the working directory to c:\r
read.table --- read in my space delimitted table (there is a read.csv for a comma separated file)
max_num  --- is set to the maximum execution time in the file

hist   -- creates a histogram of the execution times.. Check out below what comes out. Sweet !!


This was easy, and gives me a great picture of the variance in execution times. 

I am going to work more with this file since it had 2 different plans I want to visual the differences.

No comments:

Post a Comment